- Start small and simple!
- Pick your meal planning style that suites your family. Examples: cook 2-3 nights per week and make leftovers for the other nights, 2 major proteins per week, theme night (soup night, vegetarian, breakfast, taco night, Italian, etc.)
- Commit 30-45 minutes each week or weekend to meal plan for the upcoming week.
- Plan out each day that upcoming week to determine whether you need a quick cooking meal or
- Look for recipes online, in magazines (I like Cooking Light), or on Pinterest (check out my page here: https://www.pinterest.com/mkarabi/).
- Alter recipes to make them your own! Add and replace ingredients or leave off ingredients your don’t like!
- Make your grocery list and schedule one day to go.
- Have fun!
What has worked for my husband and me is 3 major proteins per week, 1 breakfast meal (Sunday night), and 1 vegetarian night. I use chicken, seafood, turkey, and occasionally pork and beef to plan 2-3 chicken meals, 1-2 seafood meal, 1 turkey/pork/beef meal, 1 breakfast meal, and 1 vegetarian meal.